Call +420 518 321 881   info-ico1   All contacts


Veselí nad Moravou  - originally a merchants settlement founded at the crossing of trade routes. A pub used to stand here in which the guests might have made merry …..  – this probably gave the name to the town – Veselí (“Merry-making”).

Today, Veselí is a town with nearly twelve thousands inhabitants. It is situated in the fruitful lowlands of Moravian Slovakia and surrounded by the White Carpathians in the southeast, by fields and bottomland forests in the west and by a near silhouette of the Chriby Mountains in the north. A town swamped in greenery with sparkling bodies of water – the Morava River, its dead arms, many ponds and the Bata-Canal. The town is an important traffic and railway junction with good connection to Slovakia, whose borderline is not far from here. It is also a great starting point for trips to its broad environs: to nature beauties and sights, wine-shops and historical wine cellars, still living traditions and folklore. The cyclists can enjoy a quite dense network of cycle paths and bike trails, while the hikers and the water and church tourists can find a lot of interesting places here.

Are you coming to us for any reason, be cordially welcome to Veselí -  and have merry fun here! 


The oldest traces of a settlement in Veselí nad Moravou are from the Neolithic Era – New Stone Age (approx. 5700 – 4900 BC).

The first written report about a castle called Veselí dates back to 1261. It was Sudomír from the House of Tvrdišovec, a secretary of the Břeclav Region, who had the castle built at a trading path along the Morava River and took part in colonization of this nearly desert region on the left bank of the Morava River. The first written report about the town of Veselí on a small river island in front of the castle comes from 1397.

Thanks to its strategic position, the town could survive disturbed times, whereby the periods of development and economic prosperity were followed by the periods of poverty, starvation and hardships of war.

Veselí flourished especially in the 19th century, as the railway was built and it was the railway station, for which the name Veselí nad Moravou was used for the first time in 1883. On 27 June 1919, the City of Veselí united with the Suburb (the original merchants´ settlement) and the Jewish Community. In 1950 the village of Milokošť and in 1964 the village of Zarazice were affiliated. In the late-20th century, Veselí became an important industrial cultural and administrative centre of Moravian Slovakia.

kudyznudy logo-01

inCity-logo-color-basic Facebook-logo-1817834